Science Communication Fellowship
Are you a scientist looking to share your research with the public? Join us!
Become a Reiman Gardens Science Communication Fellow and develop a fun hands-on activity focused on your research!
Email application to Sara Merritt (email@example.com) by November 30, 2017.
Who are Fellows?
Science Communication Fellows are scientists, engineers, graduate students, researchers, and other science-based professionals who have been certified through Portal to the Public as current science ambassadors and excellent communicators.
What is involved?
- Participate in the Science Communication Course:
- Attend ALL (3) Professional Development Workshops: Thursday, January 18, Thursday, February 15, and Thursday, March 8 from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- ALL fellows are required to appear at our Showcase:
- Wednesday, April 18 from 2:00 – 4:30 p.m.
- ALL fellows are required to appear at (2) other public events within one year.
- Examples: Spirits in the Gardens, Opening Weekend, etc.
What are the benefits?
- Free Professional Development
- Learn from Informal Science Educators how to effectively communicate your work to diverse audiences.
- Enhance your science communication skills in a dynamic, engaging, and participatory workshop setting.
- Work individually to develop a hands-on activity related to your current work. Ample concept development and materials support are provided by Reiman Gardens. (Individual meetings are scheduled as needed.)
- Free Programs for the Public
- Present your hands-on activity to general public audiences through various programs at Reiman Gardens. Visit http://popnet.pacificsciencecenter.org/ for more information.
- Take your activity “on the road” to schools, conferences, and other educational or professional settings.
- Demonstrate the broader impacts of your work through multi-generational STEM education and outreach.
- Receive professional documentation suitable for sharing with supervisors and for grant reporting.
How can I participate?
Complete and submit the application by November 30, 2017. CLICK HERE to download an application and information sheet. Direct applications and questions to Sara Merritt at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 515-294-1318.