All-American Selections Winners for 2019
Every year, the Trial and Display Garden at Reiman Gardens evaluates new plants for All-American Selections (AAS), a nationally recognized non-profit organization. AAS has been operating since 1933 with the mission of promoting new plant cultivars that have superior garden performance. AAS has announced 11 national winners for 2019 based on their performance in trails garden in 2018. Keep these cultivars in mind when selecting seeds to start in the following months!
- Begonia ‘Viking XL Red on Chocolate’ F1 – Sakata Seed – A begonia with deep bronze leaf color that remains intense throughout the season and vibrant red flowers. An amazing performer in the Reiman Gardens trial beds—you’ll be amazed at how dark the foliage stays throughout the season. Absolutely gorgeous. National Winner.
- Marigold ‘Big Duck Gold’ F1 – Ameriseed – Very large golden-yellow flowers that bloom longer than other marigolds and produce clean, deep-green foliage. National Winner.
- Melon ‘Orange SilverWave’ F1 – A melon with sweet orange flesh and a unique silver-green rind. Regional Winner.
- Nasturtium ‘Baby Rose’ –Takii Europe BV – The first nasturtium to win AAS recognition since the 1930s. Rose colored petite flowers and a mound of healthy dark foliage make this plant ideal for containers and small gardens. Totally tiny and a great way to enjoy nasturtiums in your yard without needing a square mile for them to spawl! Regional Winner – Heartland.
- Pepper ‘Just Sweet’ F1 – Seminis Home Garden – A snacking pepper with a vivid yellow color and a sweet flavor. Plants are vigorous, bushy, and don’t need staking. So sturdy, so tasty; perfect for a healthy lunch or a decadent treat when stuffed and roasted. National Winner.
- Petunia ‘Wave Carmine Velour’ F1 – PanAmerican Seed – Large, intense carmine rose flowers cover this spreading Wave Petunia all summer. Excels in containers and garden beds. National Winner
- Tomato ‘Chef’s Choice Black’ F1 –Seeds by Design Inc. – A beefsteak tomato with dark streaks and a meaty interior. Plants are vigorous, healthy, and uniform. Another wonderful entry from the Chef’s Choice series, a line praised for hybrid durability and heirloom flavor. Regional Winner.
- Tomato ‘Fire Fly’ F1 – Seeds by Design Inc. – A small, pale yellow-fruited tomato with a sweet taste and mildly acidic flavor. Plants grow 5-6’ tall and have good disease resistance. The Reiman Gardens volunteer produce harvesters were shocked at how large the plants grew and how many tasty little tomatoes they produced. National Winner.
- Tomato ‘Red Torch’ F1 – A.P. Whaley Seed – A very prolific early season producer with excellent flavor and great texture. Plants are 5-6’ tall and show strong tolerance to environmental stresses. Both ‘Red Torch’ and ‘Sparky XSL’ look as good as they taste and elevate any table-scape, as well as capturing the starring role in summer salads and snacks. National Winner.
- Tomato ‘Sparky XSL’ F1 –A.P. Whaley Seed – A cherry tomato with X-tended Shelf Life (XSL) that is early to mature, prolific, and very flavorful. Fruits are very sweet. Regional Winner – Heartland.
- Watermelon ‘Cal Sweet Blush’ –Seeds by Design Inc.- Very compact vine that produces 2-3 fruits with excellent taste and texture. Regional Winner.
We trialed these plants here at Reiman Gardens last year, and will be displaying them again next year to compare them against new introductions. Please come check out our Trial and Display Garden in 2019!
Prepared by Lindsey Smith, Collections Curator