The Entomology intern will assist the Butterfly Wing Curator in the development and maintenance of butterfly cultures for release in the Butterfly Wing. Such work will involve maintenance of a variety of lepidopteron colonies, processing and handling tropical chrysalis shipments, as well as preparation of artificial diets. This internship provides the opportunity to work directly with all life stages throughout the rearing process with tropical and native butterfly species. The intern will be working in a USDA regulated lab and must be comfortable working with live insects. The intern will also volunteer as a Butterfly Wing docent, giving information to Gardens’ visitors. Hourly pay rate is $8.75.
The Entomology Intern must
- be currently enrolled at a college or university working towards an undergraduate degree at the time of application.
- be comfortable talking to and teaching people of all ages.
- be comfortable handling a variety of insects and other invertebrates.
- be able to work in all outdoor conditions.
- be able to lift 50 pounds.
- have an ability to work regular weekend and evening hours.
- have a valid driver’s license.
More information about each internship opportunity is listed below.For further information please contact:
Assistant Director & Internship Coordinator
Reiman Gardens – Iowa State University
1407 University Blvd, Ames, IA 50011