2017 Quilt Show Entry Form
Official Quilt Contest Categories for 2017
Water is life! In 2017, Reiman Gardens celebrates water as its theme, as well as the plant, insect and human lives it sustains. The Gardens are alive with colorful displays inspired by all things water-related – from umbrellas and fountains to sea monsters and surfing. The importance of water will be on display with the Washed Ashore™ exhibit whose trash to art sculptures highlights the importance of clean water. Join us at the Gardens as we show you the importance and beauty of water in the Gardens! To learn more about the 2017 theme year, please visit www.reimangardens.com.
$7 per quilt entered
FREE entry for Quilts of Valor, and/or IQG Members' Only Block Challenge
SEE BELOW FOR OFFICIAL RULES AND GUIDELINES:
Sea of Flowers – Garden Themed Quilts
Help us celebrate Reiman Garden’s beautiful gardens with a garden-themed quilt. Quilts in this category must include a garden theme in the design either by including fabrics which display a garden theme in the pattern or by creating a garden theme in the quilt pattern. Traditional quilt blocks with garden names such as: Lily, Flower Basket, Nosegay, Maple Leaf, Bear Paw, Flying Geese, etc. would also be included in this category. There’s no better way for an appliqué quilter or art quilters to show off their amazing talents than with a lovely garden-themed quilt!
Deep Blue – Water Themed Quilts
Being from the land between two rivers doesn’t mean an Iowan doesn’t appreciate the high seas. The pioneers often described the prairies as “oceans of grass” so and appreciation of waves must have been passed down from our ancestors. Quilts in the category must have a water theme or be blue in color. Traditional blocks with garden names such as Storm at Sea, Mariner’s Compass, and Ocean Wave would also be included in this category.
Oceans of Valor – Patriotic Themed Quilts
Whether they served during peacetime or at war, our service men and women deserve our thanks. Help us reach our goal of presenting a minimum of 10 quilts to these deserving veterans. If you have someone to give a quilt to, please have them complete the QOV form attached. If you would like to make a quilt for presentation to a veteran, but do not have a veteran – we’ll happily find one for you. Quilts in this category will be presented on Sunday, Sept. 17th at Reiman Gardens. Quilters need not be members of IQG to donate and present a quilt at this ceremony and there is not charge for entering these quilts in the show. These quilts will not be judged, but will be eligible for Director’s Choice, President’s Choice, and Viewer’s Choice awards.
Aquatic Wonders Block Challenge
This special category is open to Iowa Quilters Guild members only. Please visit www.iowaquiltersguild.com for information on becoming a member of the guild. Quilt blocks in this category must include use of a provided fabric (at no charge) and measure 12 ½ inches (for a finished block size of 12 inches). All blocks will become the property of IQG once entered in the challenge and will not be returned to the quilter. There is no charge to enter.
Official Quilt Contest Rules for 2017
1. For EACH quilt entered, the maker(s) must submit a completed and signed entry form and a non-refundable entry fee of $7 to Reiman Gardens no later than September 1, 2017.
2. There is no limit to the number of quilts which can be entered by an individual.
3. No photos are required for entry.
4. There is no limit to the size of quilts that can be entered. However, extra-large quilts may be folded as necessary to enable display of as many quilts as possible.
5. There is no requirement for a hanging sleeve/rod pocket on the quilt. Quilts will be hung using binder clips or skirt hangers.
6. When quilts are given to Reiman Gardens for display, the front desk staff will safety pin a copy of the application to the quilt.
7. All quilts must be constructed of three (3) layers fabric and/or batting quilted together by hand, machine or a combination of the two methods and must be in excellent condition.
8. Traditional or modern appliqué quilts must be predominantly appliquéd and may be embellished. Traditional or modern pieced quilts must be predominantly pieced and may be embellished. A traditional or modern quilt does not have to be original and can be made from a pattern or kit. It may be made or quilted by someone other than the entrant. A quilt does not have to be a traditional block design to be considered a traditional quilt. All art-like quilts that are not of original design would still be considered a traditional quilt.
9. Art quilts may be pieced or appliquéd or a combination and may be embellished. An art quilt must be the entrant’s original design and must be completely constructed and quilted by the entrant. Any quilt with a quilter listed who is not the submitter must be entered as a traditional quilt.
10. All decisions of the jurors and judges are final. Judges will view the quilts before awarding prizes. There will be First and Second place awards in each category. Viewer’s Choice, Director’s Choice, and President’s Choice awards will be selected from all quilts entered.
Official 2017 Quilt Contest Deadlines
September 1, 2017 (Friday): For EACH quilt entered, the maker(s) must submit a completed and signed entry form and a non-refundable entry fee of $7.
September 5, 2017 (Tuesday): Notification of accepted quilts provided via email or telephone.
September 5-14, 2017: Accepted quilts may be brought (or sent) to Reiman Gardens and must be received by NOON September 14.
September 15-17, 2017: 7th Annual Quilt Show. All entrants to the Quilt Contest receive free admission.
September 17, 2017: 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Displayed quilts may be retrieved at Reiman Gardens.
September 18-22, 2017: Displayed quilts must be retrieved by owners, designated person, or postage/mailing materials to return quilt must be received by Reiman Gardens.