Homeschool Day: Plant Science
Wednesday, March 14, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Reiman Gardens is excited to invite home-schooled students and parents for a day of guided experiences and learning stations that explore concepts around an educational theme. Take advantage of this exploration of real-world science throughout the Gardens!
Reiman Gardens’ plant collections provide a living laboratory for learning all about plants. Explore the extremes plants will reach to survive in their environments through adaptations and amazing plant parts. Discover what a plant really needs to live, and create a project you can take home. Geared for grade levels K-5. Advance reservations encouraged.
Sessions are 30 minutes, which includes transition time between stations. Content delivery will take about 20 minutes, allowing time for breaks and finding the location of the next station for each session.
10:00—10:15 Welcome (Garden Room)
10:15—10:45 Session 1
10:45—11:15 Session 2
11:15—11:45 Session 3
11:45—12:45 Lunch on your own
12:45—1:15 Session 4
1:15 — 1:45 Session 5
1:45 — 2:00 Wrap up + Evaluation (Garden Room)
- Conservatory Tour: explore what plants need to grow and how they use their parts to meet their needs
- Butterfly Wing Tour: examine the relationship between pollinators and plants
- Flower Dissection: investigate the parts and mechanics of pollination
- Seed Lab: dissect seeds to explore their parts and learn about their dispersal
- Make and Take Terrarium: assemble a terrarium to take home your own plant
$7 Students (K-12)
SAVE-the-DATE for Additional Homeschool Days: June 13, September 26