Elwood’s Birthday Celebration with World Record Attempt
Saturday, October 3, 2020
starting at 1:00 p.m.
official attempt at 3:05 p.m.
Location: Iowa State University football practice field, just west of Jack Trice Stadium and north of Reiman Gardens
Hello “gnomies”! I’m Elwood, the world’s largest concrete gnome. I live at Reiman Gardens, right here on the Iowa State University campus. This fall I’m turning 10 years old (I won’t tell you how many that is in gnome years!) I want to invite you and hundreds of others to dress like me to break the Guinness World record for the largest gathering of people dressed as garden gnomes. Can you believe it?! Everyone is invited to this free event! You can also support this event as a volunteer or by making a donation. Make gnome mistake, it’s going to be a fun fall at Reiman Gardens!
How to participate in this free event
This event is FREE TO PARTICIPATE and registration is REQUIRED! Sign you and your “gnomies” up today!
To dress up like me and my gnome friends, and to count for the world record, your costume needs to look like one of the following*:
- A full male gnome costume MUST include a pointed hat, beard, boots AND one of the following:
- A collared shirt and vest
- Brightly colored tunic and belt
- Pair of overalls
- A full female gnome costume MUST include a pointed hat and boots AND one of the following:
- Solid-colored or patterned dress with apron
- Shirt and skirt with suspenders
- Pair of overalls
*Any participants not dressed in full costume will be discounted from the final total.
Schedule of Events
- 1:00-2:30 p.m. – Check-in and costume verification
- 1:00-3:00 p.m. – Games and activities on the practice field
- 3:05 p.m. – First official attempt
- After record attempt 6:00 p.m. – Reiman Gardens open for free for “gnomies”. Take a selfie and share a birthday cookie with Elwood!
How to support this event
It is a big job to pull off a world record! My friends at Reiman Gardens are looking for a lot of enthusiastic folks to help with this event. Volunteers are needed to check in event participants, to act as stewards to supervise and count event participants, and to assist with my birthday party after the event! If you are interested in learning more about volunteering for this event, please email our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to make a donation for this event, please visit the Iowa State University’s Foundation page and include a note that your donation is a birthday gift for me, Elwood the Gnome!
Come back to this page often! I’ll keep you posted on my party plans!